So, I've just put my first pattern up as a Ravelry download. It's for this little strawberry bag.
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Friday, June 26, 2009
My friend from university is expecting a baby in July. She's mad about dolphins so wanted to do a dolphin knit for her. I couldn't find anything dolphin to knit, so designed my own.
It's in 4ply cotton (she's allergic to wool). I thought the dolphin would look better in 4ply. She’s expecting a girl so was going to do a dress, but then went with a cardie in case the scan was wrong. She did say not to go mad with pink. I was aiming for 3-6 months. Elisabeth is just gone 6 months so I think I’ve got the size OK.
It's a fairly simple design cardie as it's my first design with sleeves. I went with droped shoulder sleeves so I wouldn't have to worry about shaping the sleeve tops.
The ribbing is k2p1.
I wasn't going to do another test knit just yet, I wanted to get on with a design of my own, but these bloomers caught my eye. They were a reminder that I don't do much colour work!
The pocket was meant to be on the back - whoops!
The dolphin cardie is nearly done now. I just need to sew in the second sleeve, do the neck and front bands, weave in ends and add buttons.
I visited this is knit in Dublin the other week and found it to be a lovely shop. I picked up a ball of lambs pride worsted to make a soaker. Reading some comments about it being ichy has put me off this idea and I think I will do a dress instead.
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Last year my mother bought me 9 balls of Debbie bliss rialto that was on sale. It was a lovely shade of purple so I said I'd make something for my sisters new baby. So I knitted a tank top, and still had loads left. Since my sister liked the top, I knitted a bolero for my nieces first birthday earlier this month. I still had loads left so I knitted a tanktop for my little one as I thought I didn't have enough for sleeves. I still have 1 ball left. It is the yarn that will not end.
Here's what I did with it:
This is a Sirdar pattern, from the baby bamboo book. It has cute bobbles around the edge. They were fiddly, but worth the effort. The colours in these pictures are not a good representation of the yarn colour, the second set of pictures for 'seedling' are closer.
This is my own pattern. I think I will need to tweak it a bit before writting it up. I'm not happy with the armhole depth or the neckline.
Friday, May 22, 2009
Back in March I started a wrap style cardie for Elisabeth in Wendy Happy bamboo sock yarn. It was kniting up really nice, but was coming up a bit small so I thought I would give it to a friend who was due a baby in July. So I didn't rush it and finally finished it on Wednesday. I ended up knitting 3 sleeves as I lost one - the missing sleeve turned up hours after finishing the cardie.
The finished cardie is bigger than I thought it was going to be, and since it isn't a very good example of what I can do - it doens't really sit right - I might just keep it. Elisabeth won't get that much wear out of it though.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
I am thinking of writting up some of my own designs and having them test knitted. Since I haven't done anything like that before I thought I would try it from the other end and do a test knit for something. After looking for a while the prefect test knit came up, a baby bib tested for MiaLa on Ravelry.
Friday, May 8, 2009
I knitted a hat for charity. My boy called it sisters hat, although it's not for her.
It's in Tivoli 100% pure aran.
Here's what I did,
Using 5.5mm needles, cast on 62st. Work 4 rows of 2x2rib.
Change to 6mm needles and work 16 rows ss.
Next row, k1, (k3, k2tog) 12 times, k1 (50st)
work 3 rows ss.
Next row, k1 (k2, k2tog) 12times, k1 (38st)
work 1 row ss.
Next row, k1 (k1, k2tog) 12 times, k1 (26st)
Next row p1 (p2tog)12 times, p1 (14 st).
Cut yarn, thread through remaining stitches and sow up seam.
You are welcome to make this hat as well, for personal or charity use.